This resource is also available in French. Click here to access the French version.
As communities face increasingly complex social challenges, local governments face a call to action. A community-wide mandate and overarching vision provides opportunity to lead and work better together with others as communities pivot to address influential factors and experiences.
This guide provides a road map for civic leaders and staff, community partners and individuals, and explores:
- the connection between local government and foundational community development practices;
- tools, examples and common avenues for local governments of any size; and
- key factors for progress and success.
For local governments to help address social issues there is no need to stretch far, just a little deeper. Learn how to manage expectations; step into the social realm; navigate how to contribute much-needed capacity for effective community change; and co-create healthy, vibrant communities.
Deepen Your Learning:
- Watch a webinar recording on assessing the impacts of local intersectoral action with an online tool
- Read about how the City of Delta Promotes Social Role of Local Government
- Learn about funding available for local poverty reduction efforts in BC