Date: Monday, January 14, 2019, 1-2 (EST)
We love learning from our group members! If there is a particular topic you have experience in, and would like to share your lessons with other municipal peers, please contact Adam to inquire about leading an upcoming discussion.
The aim of the Municipal Government Representatives for Poverty Reduction Community of Practice (MGR CoP) is to bring together municipal-level government officials who are responsible for or directly involved in poverty reduction efforts, to learn, share, and build capacity amongst group members.
This community of practice meets bi-monthly on the second Monday of alternating months.
Benefits of Membership
By joining this unique community of practice you will be able to share your experiences and knowledge in free-flowing and creative ways with other professionals who are working on similar challenges or issues. By engaging in facilitated conversations with your peers, you will uncover new approaches to problems, build your professional skill set, access new ideas and contribute to the transfer of best practices.
The purpose of the MGR CoP is to facilitate a regular communication channel for municipal representatives responsible for, or directly involved in, poverty reduction efforts, to:
- Interact, share information and exchange knowledge and experience respecting local poverty reduction strategies in Canada;
- Share emerging findings and research in the area of social policy related to poverty reduction, particularly as it relates to effectiveness and impact;
- Foster opportunities for collaboration amongst participants;
- Consider advocacy opportunities with other municipal bodies, as agreed upon by the group.
- Provide a system of support and ongoing professional development for individuals who are working on poverty reduction at the municipal level
- Support and encourage the development and extension of specialist knowledge
- Keep abreast of and participate in leading best practice, and/or demonstrate best practices employed within individual organizations
- Identify potential areas for research and development
- Participate in mentorship to build capability amongst less experienced practitioners
The Municipal Government Representatives for Poverty Reduction Community of Practice is comprised of municipal government employees working on the poverty reduction profile in municipalities large and small, across Canada. Here are some of the groups that take part:
- City of Edmonton
- City of Grande Prairie
- City of London
- City of Medicine Hat
- City of Moncton
- City of Ottawa
- City of Peterborough
- City of Toronto
- City of Windsor
- District of Stewart
- Niagara Region
- Northumberland County
- Peel Region
Still have questions?
Reach out to Adam at email@example.com